Big Data Big Business Challenge
CGI is looking for new solutions with global potential that use Copernicus data to address real business problems. Solutions should be commercially viable and demonstrate added value to existing organisations. This could be demonstrated as either a disruptive change to the way an organisation does business, or by showing that the organisation will benefit from realisable cost efficiencies. The most compelling solutions will directly apply Copernicus data to provide new operational services to businesses and should already exist in prototype form or can be rapidly prototyped. The focus is on new application concepts, not the infrastructure required to develop and deploy these.
Markets and potential application areas of particular interest to CGI include:
- Energy: Support site surveys, monitor pollution, or inform environmental regulatory requirements
- Utilities: Monitor networks/assets for threats, target maintenance needs, or enable more efficient operations
- Transport: Enable more efficient route planning and monitoring, or more efficient logistics
- Forestry: Provide novel insights for more effective forest management or supply chain tracking
- Agriculture: Support national scale crop monitoring, early yield prediction, or regulatory compliance checking
- Insurance: improve the prediction of event likelihood/impact, or assist with post-event assessment and reaction
Propositions towards customers in, for example, banking, retail, supply chain or health-care-related industries are equally welcome.
- Access to CGI’s prominent presence in most markets via the promotion of the winning solution to CGI industry teams and relevant customers in the target markets e.g. attendance and presentation at relevant industry events
- Business development support to prepare for pre-operation with commercial customers
- Technical advice and assistance, for example with industrialising the architecture for scalability, reliability, revenue collection, and security
- Option to integrate winning prototype into a CGI EO exploitation platform
- Substantial satellite data quota worth EUR 5,000 (financial support by EC)
- Access to the Copernicus Accelerator programme (if eligible)
Submissions to the CGI Big Data Big Business Challenge will be evaluated against the following criteria:
- Commercial Potential: Does the solution have real market potential?
- Customer Problem: Does the solution clearly identify and solve real customer needs?
- Technical Feasibility: Does the solution apply Copernicus data to provide viable new operational services to businesses?
- Innovation: Does the solution demonstrate a novel technical or business approach?
- Challenge Fit: How well does the solution align with the challenge objectives?
CGI is a global end-to-end IT and business process services leader in Europe, North and South America, Asia, and Australia. CGI works for Government and commercial clients and has a large Space business, with over 40 years’ experience of delivering complex, secure, mission-critical space systems. We deliver ground systems, exploitation platforms and space-enabled applications for clients such as the European Space Agency, the European Commission and for international organisations such as EUMETSAT and European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts. We are focused on applying Earth observations to help organisations meet their business challenges by developing operational, sustainable space-enabled services. Our global footprint, access to markets, strong IT and space skills, make a powerful combination for building international partnerships and business relationships.