Catapult Sustainable Living Challenge
The Sustainable Living Challenge was looking for new ideas that address some of the key challenges we face as a global community. The Challenge judges were looking for ideas to support sustainable development that have genuine market potential. Ideas are welcome in the following application areas that use Earth observation data to support:
- Agriculture and food security
- City planning and management
- Resilient infrastructure
- Natural resource management from mining to water
- Conservation of important habitats
- Sustainable use of the oceans
Applicants were encouraged to explore the integration of satellite Earth observation data with other data sets, potentially from UAVs or in-situ-sensor networks, to create a new or improved product or service.
Prototypes are not necessary, but participants needed to demonstrate how the idea could have been implemented, the data sources involved and a clear understanding of the market opportunity.
Submission was possible from 1 April to 30 June 2017, all completed proposals are undergoing evaluation at the moment.
Forest Sentinel – Forest protection with satellite deforestation alerts via mobile phone app, submitted by Prof Heiko Balzter and Team from University of Leicester, England, Ukall Ltd and Kenya Forest Service, Kenya
- User problem: How significant is the opportunity identified by the participant?
- Innovation index: What is the innovation level of this idea and its development potential?
- Technology feasibility: Is this solution possible today? Is the use of Earth observation data an integral part of the proposed solution?
- Use of multiple data sources: Has the applicant explored using multiple data sources, for example, using more than one type of satellite or the fusing of satellite and terrestrial data?
- Market index: What is the commercial potential of the idea (the size of the market or expected demand, chance of commercial success, investment potential, time to market)?
- Risk index: What are the legal aspects and risks involved in this idea?
Satellite Applications Catapult
This Challenge has been set by the Satellite Applications Catapult in partnership with Innovate UK, the UK Space Agency and the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC). The Catapult is an independent innovation and technology company, created to help organisations make use of and benefit from satellite technologies, and brings together multi-disciplinary teams to generate ideas and solutions in an open innovation environment. A not-for-profit company, the Catapult provides facilities, platforms and expert knowledge to enable the translation of ideas from concept to market.